In a press release, the KNBSB (Royal Dutch Baseball and Softball Federation) announced the roster of the Kingdom of the Netherlands for the upcoming European Cup.
One very well known name that is back on the list is that of Roger Bernadina. Two years ago, Roger was about to leave for Europe to join the Netherlands but the call up by the Dodgers prevented him from joining the Dutch team.
Back then, Roger played for the Albuquerque Isotopes (in those days the AAA affiliate of the Dodgers). This year, Roger played for the Las Vegas 51s (AAA affiliate of the New York Mets). Between 2008 and 2014 Roger played (parts of) seven seasons in the Majors, mainly with the Washington Nationals.
Another player with MLB experience is Shairon Martis. Martis played a total of fifteen games for the Washington Nationals in 2008 and 2009 and in 2013 he had a cup of tea with the Minnesota Twins. After spending the 2015 season in Taiwan with the 7 Eleven President Lions, Martis joined the Lincoln SaltDogs in the independent American Association. In 24 appearances with the SaltDogs, Martis won nine games and lost eight. He posted a 3.33 ERA.
Team mate of Martis, Curt Smith will join the KOTN as well. The first baseman hit .331 with seventeen homeruns, by far the most of his team. Smit was named player of the year by the SaltDogs.
With these three players, the Dutch team has twenty players with professional experience.
A new face on the roster of the Kingdom of the Netherlands is catcher Chadwick Tromp. Chadwick played the 2016 season for the Daytona Tortugas (A Advanced affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds). This season he did not impress with his bat as he hit only .215. But his defensive skills are pretty good. He threw out 37% of the potential base stealers in 2016.
One name that is absent on the roster is that of Hainley Statia. Earlier this year it became clear that he wanted to play his final European Cup as a kind of farewell tour. During the last seasons he stayed in shape by training with players on Curacao. This season he has been hitting coach of the Arizona Brewers (Rookie League).
The Eurpean Cup tournament will start Friday, September 9th. The Dutch will play its first game on Friday vs Great Britain (7.00 PM local time). Other opponents in the group of the Dutch team are: Germany, Russia, Czech Republic or Czechia (as the official English name sounds now) and Sweden.
The complete roster of the Kingdom of the Netherlands:
- Tom de Blok (L&D Amsterdam Pirates)
- Mike Bolsenbroek (Regensburg Legionaere)
- Rob Cordemans (L&D Amsterdam Pirates)
- Berry van Driel (Curacao Neptunus)
- Lars Huijer (Vaessen Pioniers)
- Diego Markwell (Curacao Neptunus)
- Shairon Martis (Lincoln SaltDogs)
- Loek van Mil (Curacao Neptunus)
- Kevin Kelly (Curacao Neptunus)
- Jim Ploeger (HCAW)
- Orlando Yntema (Curacao Neptunus)
- Gianison Boekhoudt (Curacao Neptunus)
- Dashenko Ricardo (Curacao Neptunus)
- Chadwick Tromp (Daytona Tortugas)
- Yurendell de Caster
- Dwayne Kemp (Curacao Neptunus)
- Dudley Leonora (Kinheim)
- Stijn van der Meer (Greenville Astros)
- Curt Smith (Lincoln SaltDogs)
- Nick Urbanus (L&D Amsterdam Pirates)
- Roger Bernadina (Las Vegas 51s)
- Chris Garia (Vaessen Pioniers)
- Randolph Oduber (Curacao Neptunus)
- Kalian Sams (Quebec Capitales)
On paper, manager Steve Janssen has put together a strong and balanced team. The team has some fire power in Kalian Sams, Curt Smith, Dwayne Kemp, Dashenko Ricardo and Gianison Boekhoudt. But there is also enough speed with players like Roger Bernadina, Nick Urbanus and Stijn van der Meer.
This report is brought to you by Score66 Baseball